Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Share a cuppa?

Hey there @Oaktree ☺️🌺

Thats an excellent question! 
I am a volunteer, having done 10 weeks of training as a peer guide through the SANE Peer Guide Program 🙌🏻☺️

The Peer Guide Program helps people with complex MH and barriers to work gain valuable experience in work, as a volunteer. 
I have complex MH, as well as other barriers to work, and the opportunity to volunteer as a peer guide side by side with members is an extremely positive opportunity which I really appreciate, and hope I can contribute to the wellbeing of our members using both the knowledge I’ve gained so far in the teaching modules as well as using my lived and living experience to connect and support our members 🙂💜🌺

@Miss-wish @Xibon @Ilovepenguins @Shaz51

@Adge @tyme @Jynx @RiverSeal @Fluttershy1 @Bon_courage 

🙂🌺

Oh ok thanks for answering my question @Former-Member 

I am waiting for the opportunity to become a community guide like @Shaz51 

Meggle

Former-Member
Not applicable

no worries @Oaktree 😀

Its great to be a part of such a wide range of different members on the forums, I feel like we all have different ways that we can use our stories to help each other 🙂💜

Becoming a community guide sounds great Meggle 🙌🤝🙂🌺

@Shaz51 😀

Hi @Former-Member Good afternoon.

3 or 4 days in a row of 40C or above, here.

Not sleeping well with the heat.So pushed myself off to Yoga Class (this morning), feeling like a Zombie.

Still glad I went, I'm always glad I went (afterwards).

Adge

Hi @Former-Member I find Peer Support Workers (in MH) more empathetic, & easier to relate to.

Perhaps that's because of their "Lived Experience".

I have a Peer Support Worker coming to see me once a week, from the MIFWA Hospital to Home program.

I Self-Referred, when I was about to leave Hospital in early December (last year).

Unfortunately they can only offer Peer Support for 8 weeks - So it's about to end (my 8 weeks is about finished).

Adge

Wonderful news @Oaktree , you will be a awesome community guide my friend 😀 ❤️ 

Hello @Former-Member 🙂

@Former-Member thanks for sharing. It's very positive

@Shaz51 

Well the community guide thing is still up in the air but @tyme said I was being considered for the role when it comes up so fingers crossed.

Meggle

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey there @Adge 🙂🌺

Thats hot, and exhausting. I hope there’s a break in the heat this evening there, so you can get some better quality sleep 🙂
Even with the heat, sounds like yoga class went well ☺️🌺

It’s nice when it’s over and all the hard work is done! 🌺🙌🏻

I went for a little drive through back country roads (some dirt) for a little change of scenery this afternoon, which was lovely 😎☀️

Have you done yoga for long? 
I had a colleague some years ago who was an instructor, and she always said it was great 🙂🌺

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey there @Adge 🙂🌺

Thats so great, so happy to hear, and very pleased that PSW’s can share the extra dimension of empathy and relatability to the supports you receive 🙂🙌🏻

I believe it’s still an under-utilised powerful area of work development for supporting people within the MH community - more peer workers would be amazing, and for more flexible timeframes 💜🙂

The program you’ve mentioned sounds great - I hope they can help with suggesting other types of supports once their service term ends..? Sometimes there are other types of peer engagements that may be available… two that come to mind (although I don’t know if these might be useful) are the SafeHavens, or eFriend (I’m not sure if this program is still running though, or how far the reach is in terms of geography).. 🙂🌺

It would be great if they had an additional step-down service available 🙂🌺