Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Daily Check In Space

Hi @Appleblossom , that experience of being knocked by a car must have been really frightening, I hope you're doing okay now 💛

It sounds like it has been quite a difficult and emotional period. I'm happy to hear you were able to spend some time with your support worker out in nature, nature is really grounding and calming for me too. 

cloudcore 

Hi all,

Feeling happy, sad, excited and a little nervous all at once today.

Worked my last shift at a job I have been in for the past 4 years. Have been at the campus studying for closer to 8 years.

It is the closing of a messy chapter for our family. The space + work + study there has been a refuge and compas to keep me moving forward during some dark days. But also some happy milestones as well. Going to miss it but at the same time it is a good door to close and I am looking Forward to new opportunities.

I start a new job on Monday.

First full time job in 8 years. Going to be some adjustments for all. Most of all darling. But also a great opportunity for her to gain some more confidence and independence. 

Thankful for the support of.family to make this possible. 

Hi @Determined,

Wow your last shift in a place you have worked and studied. It sounds like you are looking forward to future opportunities. How was your first day at the new job?

Moving to full time would have it's adjustments. It's a really great point that sometimes as carers when we step back, it's a chance for the person we care for to step up. When I switched to full time work while also caring for a partner, this was my concern too! But in hindsight, it helped my partner realise all the things he could do for himself, that I just instinctually did for him. Every person is different, but it really made a difference for him at that time- It can be a very empowering experience for the whole family.

I would love to hear how you go, and please reach out when you need to. We are here for all of the adjustments in life 🙂

Good Luck with new chapter @Determined 

Saying goodbye and moving on can be hard, but sounds like you are in a good place.  Hope your Darling gently eases into her space, claims it in the best way for her.

You bin doing great for her, for a LONG time.

cheers Apple

Thanks for your encouragement @Daisydreamer + @Appleblossom 

First 2 days has been good,

Information overload but in a good way.

Darling has struggled but at the same time done really well.

The biggest challenge has been not being able to talk to me whenever she needs.

I aim to call every lunch break but this is the first job since we were married (22+ years) where she can't just walk into my office and see me. Or call at any time. 

Even texting is not ideal. The real test will be when school resumes. 

@Determined  You love her and you deserve your career to unfold and to work to the best of YOUR potential.  Frst few weeks on the job there is a lot to take in.

She has been lucky to have so much support.  I would never have bothered my husband during work hours unless there was a true emergency.

Hi   My first day here so nice to be here even though it is late in the day. Young daughter has what appears to be schizophrenia after 5 years and dealing with changes in meds. My son left home this week too leaving just my wife and myself to try and take care of my daughter. 

1) How are you feeling?   about a 3 

2) What is one thing you have struggled with, and one thing you have done well? concerned about daughters long term care and as i get older.

Started a new full time job this week after about 4 years of contract and temp roles:)

3) What is one nice thing you can do for yourself today? Go for a walk and listen to what I need to understand about myself.

hello and welcome @Frankly2 , I love your profile picture

the forums are open 24/7 if you like some company anytime 

@Determined@Appleblossom@cloudcore@greenpea 

Hi @Frankly2 ,

Welcome to the forums! It's great you've been able to post a little about yourself today.

Congratulations on your new full time job! I hope you'll be able to relax around work and hang out here with some awesome people including @Shaz51 (who has welcomed you above).

Feel free to browse through different parts of the forums to find a thread which interests you.

Look forward to hearing from you 🙂

Take care,

tyme

Hi @Frankly2  and welcome

I also started full time work this week.

Has been 8 years for me.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance