cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life After Bushfires

Frangipani1
Bushfire Community Ambassador

Continuing Effects

It's interesting how we keep things in our 'minds' without even realising it.  In 2009, my daughter was 9 years old when we went through a week of absolute turmoil.  Days of thick smoke and watching helicopters fill up their water carriers in the lake across the road from my home.  Fire trucks in our street, house 'foamed' down by the firefighters, everything packed,  ... on and on for about a week ...

For about two years after that fire season, every time a chopper flew overhead my daughter would be on high alert and ask me "Mum is it a fire??"

And then she had to go through it all again this year ... I'll share one of her experiences this year a bit later on 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
YouAreNotAlone

Re: Continuing Effects

Hi @Frangipani1!

I completely know what you mean. I'm the same with helicopters, or basically anything fire-related. I think a lot of us are on high alert, particularly during bushfire season. I hope you and your daughter are okay!

I completely know what you mean too @Frangipani1@YouAreNotAlone 

maybe slightly different as i Have not been through a bushfire but have been through cyclones 

During our cyclones seasons in far north queensland , when there is lots of winds and pressure in the air , i wonder if there is a cyclone around @nashy 

Hey @Frangipani1 TideisTurning here, one of Sane's peer support workers 😊Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us. It can be so hard to go back to some semblence of 'normal' after an experience like that, and then to have to go through it all again... To me, that speaks to you and your daughter's resilience and your strength in continuing to move through it all.

Those moments of brief panic definitely sound like a normal reaction to what you've both been through. I'm curious though, what ways do you have of working through these experiences? Maybe even together with your daughter, especially as you've re-experiened bushfires? How do you come down from those moments of high alert when it's been a false alarm?   

Frangipani1

Thanks everyone for your replies 🙂 To answer your question TideisTurning, I think that the main way that we were able to reassure her when she was young, was to validate her fear when hearing a helicopter and explain that helicopters flying over can mean something different to a fire - there are lots of things that people in helicopters are doing and pretty much most of them are aimed at keeping people safe.  Assuring her she was safe and that there was no smoke or other indications of fire in a calming way - really just using some basic trauma informed principles.

I think that children really absorb what is going on around them.  They don't always have words to verbalise what they are seeing and how it is making them feel, especially when they are very little so being aware of possible effects is really important.

It sounds like your daughter is a lucky girl, having a parent so aware of not only the potential impacts, but of some ways to go about addressing those impacts. Those strategies sound really simple yet powerful and I imagine they would help lessen some of the trauma's impact a great deal. Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom with us @Frangipani1 😊

Burnt

@Frangipani1 thank you for sharing! Although and adult I feel the same ever helicopter too! We didn’t have any helicopter help with our fire but every buzz I hear I jump straight to it! The other day I heard and saw 5 of them and was thinking some horrible thing has happened. No it was the tri monthly helicopter pilot meeting at the local pub 😂 

how is your daughter now? 

Hey @Shaz51

I imagine feeling the wind pressure change would be similar to what we experience e.g. smelling or seeing smoke. It's so peculiar how much little things--that most people wouldn't even bat an eyelid--can have such a profound impact when you've been through something awful (whether that's a bushfire, a flood, a cyclone, or anything else the world decides to throw at us).

@Frangipani1 I think validating that fear is the BEST thing you can do, as well as assuring her she's safe.

I think we have a tendency to be harder on ourselves than anyone else, so it's good to remember to validate those fears when we feel them!

@Burnt I know exactly what you mean with the jumping at helicoptors thing! I live near the city ish now, so I hear oodles every day, and it's so hard to pull yourself out of that moment of fear.

So glad it was just a helicopter pilot meeting and nothing bad haha. I think laughing is also a great thing!

New to the

Life After Bushfires Forum?

Chat to people

who have been through it

Register To Connect

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Life After Bushfire Resources: